Scott Smith is a former competitor on the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show in the middleweight division and the UFC middleweight division and after being cut from the UFC, he competed in EliteXC and then Strikeforce. He is known for his tendency to seem inches away from suffering a defeat, before scoring a stunning comeback knockout with his notoriously heavy hands. In this manner, he defeated previously undefeated former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le.
He most recently fought a rematch with Le, losing via TKO in the second round with Le finishing Smith with punches on the ground after dropping him with a spinning back kick to the solar plexus.
Smith then dropped to welterweight to face Strikeforce newcomer Jesse Finney. Instead, he made his welterweight debut against hard-hitting controversial striker Paul Daley in Daley's promotional debut. Daley knocked Smith out with a left hook from hell two minutes into the fight.
After a lengthy hiatus, Smith signed on to return against young prospect Tarec Saffiedine. Saffiedine defeated the durable veteran Smith via dominant unanimous decision.
Smith next returned to middleweight when he fought Lumumba Sayers in his final Strikeforce fight losing very quickly via guillotine choke submission. Smith was then cut from Strikeforce after the fourth straight loss.
After a hefty layoff Smith is next set to fight against Mark Matthews for the WCFC middleweight title.
- Scott Smith vs. David Terrell - The fight was Smith's UFC debut and only his second loss in his career. The fight was controversial because Smith said that the referee had told them to break at the same time that David Terrell had leapt onto his back taking the choke and the oppurtunity.
- Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell - The fight featured one of the most shocking finishes in mixed martial arts history.
- Patrick Cote vs. Scott Smith
- Scott Smith vs. Ed Herman - After the fight, Smith was cut from the UFC for the final time.
- Scott Smith vs. Benji Radach
- Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith - The fight was the second and last of Nick Diaz's short stint as a middleweight fighter in Strikeforce before he captured the welterweight title. Diaz landed an incredible amount of punches in the fight.
- Cung Le vs. Scott Smith 2 - The fight was an immediate rematch of their previous fight.
- Paul Daley vs. Scott Smith - The fight was the Strikeforce debut of Paul Daley and the welterweight debut of Smith. The fight was the first time that Smith had been knocked unconscious.