Matt "The Terror" Serra is a retired former UFC welterweight champion and one of the few men to defeat Georges St. Pierre. He is also the winner of the welterweight division of the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter, which earned him the initial shot at champion St. Pierre in the first place.
Serra most recently fought Chris Lytle,in a rematch of their battle to decide the welterweight winner of the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter. The fight was a standup war from start to finish, agreed on by both men silently before the contest began. Lytle took a bloody, dominant unanimous decision.
After the fight (in September 2010), Serra unofficially retired from the sport of mixed martial arts. He still took an inactive role as an enthusiast and fan of the sport but there was little to no chance of him returning to the Octagon as of December 2012.
Indeed Serra officially retired on May 22, 2013 -- barring an eventual UFC event in Madison Square Garden.
A little under a year later in February 2014 Serra exchanged words with former rival Matt Hughes on Twitter. The two both said they'd be willing to come out of retirement for a rematch closer to the summer of 2014.
- Matt Serra vs. Shonie Carter - The fight was Serra's UFC debut and his first defeat.
- Matt Serra vs. Yves Edwards
- B.J. Penn vs. Matt Serra - The fight was at lightweight, and many felt the decision could have gone either way (it went to Penn).
- Din Thomas vs. Matt Serra - The fight was considered to be a very controversial decision.
- Matt Serra vs. Jeff Curran - The lightweight fight was Jeff Curran's UFC debut. He took the fight on nine days' notice.
- Matt Serra vs. Ivan Menjivar - The fight was the UFC debut of Ivan Menjivar.
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra 2 - Serra's first title defense was failed, and St. Pierre regained his title and avenged one of his few defeats against Serra in his home country and province. Serra showed that he was very humble and congratulated St. Pierre whole-heartedly.
- Chris Lytle vs. Matt Serra 2 - The fight was a standup war from start to finish.
Serra: “I got that in high school, one of my buddies came up with it cause it rhymes with Serra. Guy was a real genius, I guess… haha. But its cool, it’s a little bit different then some of the other ones a lot of people use… not too many Terrors out there.”