Damarques Johnson was the runner-up in the welterweight division on the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show, and he currently fights in the UFC. He is known especially for his effective triangle chokes and humor outside the cage.
He most recently lost to Matt Riddle by second round technical knockout. Johnson suffered a broken right orbital bone and recovered. He next faced Mike Guymon, winning via verbal submission due to a body triangle in the first round. After the bout, Guymon retired.
Instead -- after a long layoff -- Johnson was next set to face TUF veteran Clay Harvison. Unfortunately Johnson was injured and forced to pull out. He was replaced by Seth Baczynski. After recovering, Johnson was again set to face Harvison. Johnson defeated Harvison via a brutal first-round knockout.
Johnson next faced British prospect John Maguire, losing by a slick armbar submission near the very end of the second round.
Johnson wasted no time in signing to face long-inactive veteran Mike Swick in May 2012. After an amazing war, Swick knocked Johnson out in the second round. Johnson then stepped in on short notice to face newcomer and prospect Gunnar Nelson at a 183 lb catchweight, losing via first round rear-naked choke submission. After the third straight loss, Johnson was controversially cut from the UFC's roster.
After over a year away from the sport, Johnson next fought Ian Williams losing a split decision.
In January 2014 Johnson signed to fight fellow UFC vet Dan Stittgen.
- Damarques Johnson vs. Sterling Nitsuma
- Damarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia - After the fight, Edgar Garcia was cut from the UFC.
- Brad Blackburn vs. Damarques Johnson - The fight was Damarques Johnson's second straight win bonus, with Knockout of the Night after his Sub of the Night win over Edgar Garcia. Brad Blackburn was shockingly cut after the fight.
- Matt Riddle vs. Damarques Johnson - Johnson came in overweight for the fight and was deducted twenty percent of his purse. During the fight, Johnson suffered a broken right orbital bone in his eye socket.
- Damarques Johnson vs. Mike Guymon - Mike Guymon retired after the fight, not even giving the UFC a chance to really cut him.
- Amir Sadollah vs. Damarques Johnson - Damarques Johnson was a late replacement for an injured James Wilks who was himself a replacement for an injured Duane Ludwig.
- John Maguire vs. Damarques Johnson
- Mike Swick vs. Damarques Johnson - The fight was Mike Swick's first fight in the Octagon in nearly two years.
- Gunnar Nelson vs. Damarques Johnson - The fight was the UFC debut of Gunnar Nelson. Johnson was a late replacement for Rich Attonito. After the fight, he was cut from the UFC.